White Elephant

Monday, April 03, 2006

Ok no thumb pictures

So once upon a time I said I was going to post a picture of what required a tetnus shot. Fergit about it. I can't seem to get my pictures in order well enough.
Anyway the story goes like this - I was volenteered to do a magic show. Not having any real time to prepare and knowing that it would take the day off I had just put a lot of effort into getting, I was hesitant. Did I also mention it was a hebrew speaking audience (I still don't feel anywhere near comfortable enough with my Hebrew to perform in it.) So it was a group of highschool aged kids that stayed at this school which was "last stop before Juvie". Hmmmm.... high school criminals - that's a GREAT group... Anyhow every year this group does a big thing - this years theme was "the Circus". There were kids that dressed as animals - others dressed as clowns - and a group or two that did some acrobatics. We were the finale - the basic breakdown was my partner spoke and did most of the magic, where I clowned and did other parts. In total the show went far better then I expected - the needle swallowing was a little rushed and underplayed and the multiplying balls counted on us being on a stage and since we weren't - it was too small.

So what does this have to do with a tetnus shot?
Not much - except on the way home, when I was walking home from the bus I decided I needed one more good deed in my day.

In Hebrew I ask "do you need any help?"
Amidst the layers of stuff strewn on the ground the answer was "Yes, please."
"ok" I said, "I know cars better then Hebrew", "here you move that this way".

I move the scissor jack from the center of the frame to the notch behind the front tire. "here, continue"

"Ok thanks" as he starts to raise the car.

My hand is checking by the jack to make sure it's in line - (after thinking about it for a couple of days I finally realized what happenened) As the front tire left the groung the car shifted and my left thumb got pinched between the car and the jack.

"OUCH" Looking at my thumb I see blood begin to pour out of one spot - looks like a bad puncture...
"I'm sorry" then I continued in English "you all have to finish on your own - I better go home"

Worried, "are you OK? I'm so sorry"
Back to Hebrew "no - no - I'm alright - I live close"

Startled by the whole thing he thanks my back as I'm walking away.

Two steps - I turn around and ask in Hebrew "Do you have a tablecloth?"

Understanding my words better then my need he comes back with a couple of napkins.

Ten minutes of walking with my napkin wrapped thumb held tightly in my right hand above my hand I get home.

Sarah's roused slightly from her sleep "do I need to get up?"
"No - just tell me where the hydrogenperoxide is..."
"on top of the refridgerator"
"ok... .... .... OWWW OWWW OWW... Ok - I think you need to get up."
"what happened?"
I give a short explination and ask her to get her glasses.
"why? let me see."
"Do I still have a thumbnail?"
"ah, um, No, no you don't"


The next day I got the best service at the Kupat Cholim (clinic) that I've ever seen=)

1 Comments:

At April 5, 2006 at 9:56:00 AM PDT, Blogger moe said...

I would have preferred to just have seen the picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home